Kings Gardens Restoration
A £5 million restoration project to
restore King's Gardens to its former glory started January
In 2001 the park was added to the Register of Parks and Gardens
(Grade II) in recognition of its ‘special historic interest.’
- Sponsor a Celebration Bench: Contact 0151 934 2421 for more
- The Venetian Bridge is closed: work to restore this beautiful
bridge has began and will take approximately 9 months.
- Balustrade Wall cleaning has commenced.
- Lakeside revetment repairs have started.
- Shrub clearance has been completed, take a stroll to
the gardens and check out the views.
- Follow the Friend's of King's Gardens Southport and
the restoration on
Facebook or via Twitter @kingsgardenssp
What is the project all about?
In 2008, Sefton Council began formulating a bid for submission
to the Heritage Lottery fund for funding under the Parks for People
Programme. In April 2009 we won "Stage l" approval and moved on to
developing the project for Stage 2 of the process. In
December 2011 the stage 2 bid was submitted to the Heritage Lottery
Fund. In April 2012 the Heritage Lottery Fund
awarded Sefton Council £4million
(the largest single grant awarded by the HLF in the North West to
parks) towards the restoration of the gardens, Sefton will be
providing the match funding from Section 106 monies (this is money
paid from external funding from local planning developments.)
Aims and Objectives
- To create an events destination for both local residents and
- Improve all user accessibility in and around the gardens.
- Improve security and safety within the gardens.
- Provide a community resource for present and future
- Improve, restore and maintain positive and historic features to
ensure a long term future for the gardens.
View the master plan of restoration work
to King's Gardens.
For further information about the King's Gardens project or
about volunteering, contact our King's Gardens Community
Development Officer on 0151 934 2497 or email the project team at:
Alternatively view the Friends of
King's Gardens, Southport.
Last Updated on 5/2/2013