Corrections to birth, death and marriage entries

Corrections to certificates can only be made when the information given at the time of registration is wrong, for example a mistake was made when recording occupation details.

You can't apply for a correction to show new information if circumstances change after you've registered for example, if you move house or start a new job.

A correction can only proceed when we are sure that an error exists and is supported by appropriate documentary evidence. Unfortunately, it is not possible to give a comprehensive guide for every instance but you can discuss your personal situation with your local register office who will be able to advise you further.

From 1 November 2017, due to legIslative changes, there will be a fee of between £75 and £90 for any correction, depending on the nature of the amendment. The fee is for consideration of the correction and will not be refunded if the amendment is not approved. The fee does not include the cost for a certificate after the correction has been completed.

Last Updated on 01 November 2017