Your home may be adapted where it is essential to give a disabled person better freedom of movement around the house. Providing you are eligible, assistance may be available to you through Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).
This type of work can include:
- widening doors or installing ramps
- providing a specially adapted room in which it is safe to leave a disabled person unattended
- installing a stair lift so there is better access to a bathroom, kitchen, or bedroom
- installing a downstairs bathroom
- improving or installing a heating system which is suitable for the disabled person
- adapting heating or lighting controls so that they are easier to use by a disabled person.
Before any work is carried out we will have to ensure that the work is; necessary, appropriate, reasonable, practicable, and feasible. We use an Occupational therapist to assess the need for the adaptations.
We will also consider if a move to alternative accommodation would be a more appropriate solution to your needs.
In order to obtain an assessment from an occupational therapist, you will need to complete a self assessment form. These are available from Social services on 0151 934 3737. You can also use this number for enquiries regarding the assessment procedure.
An occupational therapist will call to your property to assess your need for an adaptation. They will make their recommendation to the Home Improvement Team.
Should the recommendation be to adapt your property, consideration will be given to meet this need through Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). If there are significant difficulties adapting your current home a move to more suitable alternative accommodation may be a better option.
In addition to this Sefton also provides a Community equipment service that provides a range of equipment designed to enable you to retain your independence and remain living at home.
If you would like to know more about applying for a disabled facilities grant, please contact our home improvement team on 0151 934 4155/4450 or complete the enquiry form in the 'Do it online' section.