When promoting a street collection, the following regulations must be complied with.
- Application shall be in writing, with one month’s notice.
- Authority can limit the location of the collection.
- Collectors must be appointed by the promoter in writing, and be able to show that.
- Collectors should be on the pavement, if there is one.
- Collectors should not inconvenience or annoy people.
- Collectors should not importune and annoy people.
- Collectors should stand still and be 25 metres apart.
- Collectors must be over 16.
- Collectors must use boxes and monies must be placed in that box.
Any collection boxes used must be:
- Closed and sealed
- Numbered consecutively
- Carry the name of the charity or fund
- Delivered unopened to the promoter
- Opened in the presence of the promoter and another responsible person
- The contents counted immediately and recorded.
Collectors must not be paid.
Promoters must make a return to the local authority within one month certified by an accountant or responsible person.