Stay up to date on news, events and services in Sefton by subscribing to the My Sefton e-news bulletin. Sign up is quick and easy to do.

Sign up


Under the Licensing Act 2003:

  • A premises licence is required where certain regulated entertainments are going to take place. 
  • Takeaways offering hot food between 11pm and 5am require a premises licence to provide late night refreshment. 
  • A personal licence is required by anyone who wants to allow the sale of alcohol as part of his or her business. 
  • A club premises certificate is required for 'qualifying clubs'. 
  • Temporary Event Notices are available for "short term" events. 
  • Licensees, the Council and other agencies must all work to promote the four Licensing Objectives. 
  • Other persons, businesses or bodies, responsible authorities and the Licensing Authority are all able to call for reviews on premises causing problems. 
  • We are required to produce a Licensing Policy. 
  • We are required to keep a Licensing Register.

From 6 April 2017 applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK in order to hold a personal licence and/or a premises licence (which includes sale of alcohol and/or late night refreshment), from that date proof of the right to work will be required.


Recite Me Button