Stay up to date on news, events and services in Sefton by subscribing to the My Sefton e-news bulletin. Sign up is quick and easy to do.

Sign up

How to report a change in circumstance for Council Tax Reduction

If you have a current claim for Council Tax Reduction and you have had a relevant change in your circumstances, you must notify this department as soon as possible. 

Relevant changes in circumstances:-

  • Change of address.
  • Changes to the people you live with – people moving in or out of the household or a change in their circumstances.
  • Changes the income received by you, your partner, or any other adults living with you.
  • Changes to the capital of savings for you and your partner.
  • Changes to certain expenses (e.g. childcare costs) for you and your partner.
  • Changes to your contact details.

This list is not exhaustive

Report a Change in Circumstance online

The form is responsive to the questions you answer and will only ask the questions that are required by legislation and that are relevant to your circumstances.

It is important that you answer the questions completely and accurately, if the information is incorrect or incomplete it may take longer to sort out your claim.

Please ensure that you have the following details available before you report your change in circumstance:

  • Details of any changes to your household members and or income
  • If reporting a change in your employment, you will need the full details of your income received along with your employer's name, address, and postcode.
  • If there is any additional information you want to tell us about, you can include the details in the 'other information' option near the end of form.

Please note that, to comply with data protection requirements, any incomplete Change of circumstance forms that are not submitted within 14 days of the date that they are started, will automatically be deleted from the system. You would then need to resubmit your change in circumstance. It is your responsibility to ensure that forms are submitted in time.

You can report a change at the following Council offices:

Sefton One Stop Shop Offices (open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)

  • Bootle One Stop Shop, 324 - 342 Stanley Road, Bootle, L20 3ET
  • Southport One Stop Shop, The Atkinson, Lord Street, Southport, PR8 1DB - Southport One Stop Shop is appointment only, to make an appointment please call 0345 140 0845

You can now submit evidence to support your change in circumstances at the following libraries:

  • Crosby Library, Crosby Road North, Waterloo L22 0LQ
  • Formby Library, Duke Street, Formby, L37 4AN
  • Meadows (Maghull) Library, Hall Lane, Maghull, L31 7BB
  • Netherton Library, Glovers Lane, Netherton, L30 3TL
  • Southport Library, Lord Street, Southport, PR8 1DJ

If you have a change in any State Benefits or Tax Credits, you must provide evidence of this. This is usually your notification/award letter from the Department for Work and Pensions or HMRC (depending on which Benefit / Tax Credit you receive).

If you are working and have a change of income, please confirm the date of the change and provide 5 consecutive weekly payslips, 3 consecutive fortnightly payslips or 2 consecutive monthly payslips. Alternatively, please have your employer complete a Certificate of Earnings form.

If you have a change in your self-employed income, you must provide details of your business income and expenditure.  

You can scan or take a picture of your evidence and email it to please include your reference number in the title. You can also upload your evidence via our online portal.

Change in Circumstance documents

CTR Self Employed (pdf 273KB)
CTR Certificate Of Earnings (pdf 156KB)
CTR Self Employed Taxi Driver (pdf 133KB)



Last Updated on Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Recite Me Button