Employer Recognition Scheme
On 17th March 2020, Sefton Council were awarded the Bronze Certificate for the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme, this scheme ensures that the appropriate support is given to armed forces personnel when applying for job opportunities.
The Employer Recognition Scheme recognises commitment and support from UK employers for defence personnel. The scheme comprises bronze, silver and gold awards for employers who support those who serve or have served in the Armed Forces, and their families.
Sefton Council's aim is achieve the silver and gold awards for this scheme.
Armed Forces Community Covenant
Sefton Council takes seriously its commitment to its Armed Forces Community, recognising the wide range of sacrifices in-Service and ex-Service personnel and their families make, and ensuring they get a fair deal and do not face disadvantages when accessing public services. We will also make special consideration for those in our Armed Forces community who have given the most.
In 2012, Sefton Council was represented by our then Armed Forces Champion, Cllr Robert Brennan and our then CEO, Margaret Carney, when they joined Brigadier Nick Fitzgerald MBE, Commander 42 (NW) Brigade of the British Army and our local partners to sign Sefton's Armed Forces Community Covenant.
The Community Covenant is supported by the Council’s Armed Forces Member Champion and complements the Armed Forces Covenant which affirms our role supporting Armed Forces families by:
- Recognising the status of serving soldiers and veterans through public events and other public support e.g. Armed Forces Day
- Helping and advising members of our Armed Forces Community when accessing public services
- Making it easier for services personnel, families and veterans to access help and support available from the Ministry of Defence, statutory providers and our partners in the charitable and voluntary sectors
- Welcoming the invaluable input and contribution to community life in Sefton by our Armed Forces Community
- Ensuring key services are signposted to the Armed Forces Community
Veterans In Sefton
Veterans In Sefton aims to provide advice and assistance to Sefton's military veterans on a range of issues including health, housing and employment.
Further support for Armed Forces Personnel in Sefton
The Sefton Directory is a useful source of information on services that directly or indirectly help Armed Forces personnel, including veterans, and their families. Type 'Armed Forces' into the Search.
If you have any queries in relation to the covenant to request a copy, please contact Lead Officer for the Armed Forces Covenant, Shaun Pimblett on 0151 934 2062 or by email