Getting married

In Sefton a civil marriage ceremony or civil partnership can take place at Southport Town Hall, Waterloo Town Hall or at any venue which has been approved by Sefton Council.

Marriage venues
Southport Town Hall has two classically decorated rooms which are licenced for civil ceremonies. The Council Chamber holds up to 80 people and the Ante Room holds up to 20 people. Both rooms are available Monday – Friday and Saturday (morning only). Contact Southport Register Office on 0151 934 2012 to discuss availability.

Waterloo Town Hall has two tastefully decorated rooms which are licenced for civil ceremonies. The Council Chamber holds up to 80 people and the Mayors Parlour holds up to 20 people. Both rooms are available Monday – Friday and Saturday (morning only). Contact Waterloo Register Office on 0151 934 3045 to discuss availability.

If you want to marry or form a civil partnership in England or Wales you must make an appointment to give notice at the Register Office in the district where you have lived for the 8 nights immediately before giving notice, regardless of where you intend to hold your ceremony.

However if you are getting married in the Church of England or Church of Wales please contact the vicar of the church for advice on the legal requirements and fees.

If you live in Sefton you can give notice at either Southport Register Office, Town Hall, Corporation Street, Southport PR8 1DA (Tel: 0151 934 2012) or Crosby Register Office, Town Hall, Great Georges Road, Waterloo L22 1RB (Tel: 0151 934 3045).

The notices are displayed on the public notice board at the Register Office for 28 clear days (in Sefton all notices are displayed at the Southport office), after which the authorities for marriage or civil partnership schedule will be issued.

Your ceremony can then take place at the venue stated up to 12 months from the date that you gave notice.

If you change the place of your wedding/ civil partnership, or delay the date until later than 12 months from the date that you gave notice, you will need to give fresh notices and pay your notice fees again.

Under the Marriage Act 1994 civil marriages and civil partnerships may be solemnised at a variety of locations, including hotels and sporting venues. These locations are known as Approved Premises. 

The latest list of Sefton’s approved premises is held at Southport Register Office and currently includes the following venues:

In addition to the cost of giving notice (currently £35 each) the ceremony fees for Southport and Waterloo Town Halls are:

  • Monday – Thursday £200 (includes 1 certificate) 
  • Friday & Saturday £220 (includes 1 certificate)
  • The Ante Room at Southport Town Hall and the Mayors Parlour at Waterloo Town Hall can be booked for a simple, basic ceremony for a cost of £57 (includes 1 certificate).This ceremony is for a maximum of 10 people, including bride and groom and is available from Monday – Friday at 9.30am only.

The charges at approved venues are: 

  • Monday – Thursday £360 (includes 1 certificate)
  • Friday & Saturday £420 (includes 1 certificate)
  • Sunday & Bank holidays £540 (includes 1 certificate)

These fees apply to ceremonies up to, and including, 4.30pm. If you wish to hold your ceremony at a later time please contact the Register Office on 0151 934 2012 or 0151 934 3045. Please note that the above fees are separate from any other fees charged by the venue.

We will be able to make a provisional booking for an Approved Venue or the Town Halls for ceremonies which will take place up to September 30, 2021. You will need to pay a non-refundable reservation booking fee of £47 at the time of booking to secure the booking.

Please contact us before you confirm a date with your chosen venue as we may not have availability on the date that you want.

You will need to provide evidence of your name, age, nationality, address and condition. The most commonly accepted documents are:

  • Name, age and nationality – current passport. If you do not have a current passport you will need to provide your full birth certificate and, if you were born in the UK after 1st January 1983, evidence of the nationality of your parents. If you were born outside of the UK and do not have a valid passport please contact the register office for advice.
  • Address – current full UK driving licence, current council tax bill, or bank statement (dated within 1 month) or utility bill (dated within 3 months) Paper copies only. We will not accept online documents.
  • Condition (this is required if you have been previously married or entered into civil partnership in this country or any other country) – evidence of how the marriage ended (divorce decree absolute, death certificate of former spouse).
  • A document or documents, confirming divorce, annulment or dissolution outside the UK. (Please note: as of 1 November 2017 we are legally required to take a fee for all divorces / dissolutions that took place outside of the British Isles. The fee is for the consideration of the document and does not guarantee that the document will be approved. Some divorces / dissolutions will be approved at your notice appointment and the fee for this is £50.00. However, in a lot of cases the documentation will need to be considered by the General Register Office and the fee for this is £75.00. Unfortunately we are unable to determine which fee will be payable until you provide the documentation at your appointment.)

If you are unable to provide any of the above documents please contact the Register Office for advice.

The fee to give notice is £35 each and is payable at the time that you give notice.

The Sefton Registration Service offers you the opportunity to renew your vows.

The ceremony is for any married couple who wish to celebrate renewing their marriage vows in a unique and personal ceremony.

Fees range from £200 to £540 depending on the day of the week and where the ceremony will be held.

Contact to enquire about this service.

A civil ceremony can take place in a register office or other building licensed for marriage ceremonies. The ceremony is conducted by a registration officer and cannot have any religious content.

A religious ceremony can take place in a church, chapel or other building of religious worship which has been formally registered for marriage ceremonies. The service is conducted by the minister in accordance with the religious rites and ceremonies of the premises.


Last Updated on Sunday, January 3, 2021

Recite Me Button